19 January 2008

Shanghai












Shanghai is a BIG city, very BIG. It makes Chicago look like a town in Podunk Iowa. Moreover, it is cosmopolitan with a diverse population. There are so many westerners that, unlike in Nan Chang, you do not acknowledge their presence. The downside of that is that some exude arrogance that is probably a result of their jobs.



The city has many western restaurants including Subway Sandwich shops. Wu Shuai and I went there for lunch. The only western food we have eaten together that I know he has enjoyed. In fact, when we were next in the area he bought a sandwich to take home for his dinner.



I went to Shanghai with Rodney, Aaron, Rodney is a teacher at my school, and Aaron teaches at a university on the other side of town. We stayed at a hostel; this place was economical, clean and convenient. However, it makes one of the worst pizzas I have ever eaten; the pizza had pesto sauce as its base topping.



Like Hong Kong, Shanghai has a large, clean and efficient mass transit system. The system is used by a significant portion of the 1 million people that live in the city (14,000,000 is the number I was given this weekend, like the population of this whole country that number is probably understated). The system has large monitors that provide news, sports and transit information. The display indicates how long until the next train arrives at the stop and, the trains tend to arrive within 15 seconds of the displayed time.



The bus system appears to be large and efficient. The buses are wide and clean. In addition, people do not hork up a luggie and spit on the floor as they do in Nan Chang. On some of the buses, they do not have automatic fare machines. Instead, there is a person sitting by the rear door, after people get on the bus that person walks through the bus (as best as they can because of the number of people on the bus) and collects fares. This is China dealing with so many people and doing its best at full employment.




Prices in Shanghai are lower than in Nan Chang. An example is the price of pork: It costs 24 Yuan per kilo in Nan Chang and 14 per kilo in Shanghai.
I was able to locate the first 7 years of The Simpsons; it cost about 8 U.S dollars. In addition, I found the 7th season of West Wing, which cost about 9 U.S. dollars. I have been watching West Wing since I got home.






Note that I used the word home. I find it interesting that I am calling my residence in China home. The PSB issued my residency permit; I am now allowed to live in China for more than 30 days. Yep, you figured out that I have been living here illegally for several months. I love this university.
Well that is it for now.






I will not be going to Guangzhou to work the winter camp.