13 January 2008

From Shanghai, PRC

this was in my draft box, that means there are two entries today. I will review the posts to see if I put up pictures from Shanghai.

This is cool traveling around China.


When I left Nan Chang the weather was warm, my students were returning to campus to take more finals and the pollution was so bad our running group could not run. I was ready for a break from that city.


Rodney, Aaron and I took the hi-speed train to Shanghai. The train left on time, was clean, quiet and arrived early. Some services for the general public are better run as a not for profit organization. A train system like this in the US would be a great benefit to all socio-economic levels. I only saw part of the train station here but, what I did see reminded me of an airport.


My friend, WuShaui, met us at the station and we took the mass transit train to our hostel. Like Hong Kong, the inner city train system is large, clean and efficient. They have clocks on the was counting down to the next trains arrival. They seem to arrive within 5 - 10 seconds of the the clock time. This system makes sense because of hte number of people in this city. It is huge.