23 September 2007

UPDATE 09/23/07

Let’s see if I can put some new information in this update. As you can tell I can still space things out. In fact, that is one of my problems today. I have been spending a lot of time with Christal and a guy named Rodney. Neither one of them is stupid but I am the one that has to do the thinking. We have been dubbed the “gang of blondes” but it seems to be me that has to remember what we are doing, going or what we had planned to do. I have had a headache for the last three days.

Now that I am done with that, I will describe the other foreign teachers:

Trevor is about 6’5, in his late 50’s (if not older) and Brit that passes himself off as a Canadian. This is his second year here and he complains about everything. That is common amongst the teachers that have been here more than 1 year. One day I will ask one of them why they stay. Anyway, last year Trevor taught the students I am teaching this year...he is the one that taught them that learnt is acceptable. As I type this, I am realizing that describing them could be redundant.

There are a total of 7 westerners teaching here. The youngest is Rodney and the oldest is Mike; Rodney is from Hollywood, CA. and of Chinese descent, Mike is from Maine (ascent and all). The others are Christal, I have written about her, John who is from Australia, Mike from India and I can’t remember the others now. One thing is that if you are over 30 and here you are not right. Well excluding me, you ain’t right being here.

On to Nan Chang City.

Nan Chang is a large city. Some locals say it has 33 million people. I can believe it. This city’s pollution problem is not as bad as the other major cities but it can be very bad on some days. You are required to get a medical checkup to stay and teach in this country. They are concerned about sexually transmitted diseases; it seems that they think all westerners do is have sex and spread disease. Anyway, we started the 10-kilometer trip at 7:30 in the morning. When we arrived in the city there was a haze in the air. I thought it was similar to the marine layer the west coast experiences. It was not what I thought, it was pollution. The factories belch out smoke and the trucks are old and not regulated in anyway. Most of the cars are newer so I assume they have some type of pollution control but I am not sure. And, that is one of those questions you would not get a straight answer to. When we finished the exam and went outside people had surgical masks on their faces as they walked through the streets. I would like to wear one all of the time because these people do not cover their mouths when they cough, dis-fucking-gusting.

Back to the city. I have come familiar with the downtown area. We go down there at least twice a week. We go to Wal-Mart and an electronics mall. Wal-Mart is almost always packed. People are shoulder to shoulder, shoving, stopping the middle of the aisle or simply putting about. PJR, is that spelled correctly? However, the prices are cheaper than most other places. I say most because I bought a bike lock at the Mart only to find it for less at a small store near the school.

The electronics mall is huge, three floors and each floor is about two city blocks long. This mall has every type of device you can think of and they are CHEAP. I purchased a cell phone for 300 RMB, the exchange rate hovers around 7.43 RMB (after fees) per $1.00 US. Figure it out. If you want the latest in hand held technology email me and I will check out the price. Most convert to English, the only problem is you will need a converter for the electricity but a converter costs $10.00 US.

When I go into Nan Chang I am stared at constantly. Sometimes it is funny, others it is annoying. The service at most of the restaurants is annoying. You do not tip in this country. They should adopt the practice so service improves. When we go out with a local, the local is treated poorly.

Rodney and I were talking outside another teacher’s apartment when a local teacher approached us. He ignored Rodney and spoke with me, he did not look at Rodney until I spoke up and told him Rodney was an American, and then he spoke with him.

Teenagers and children look at me and say hello. When I answer the mostly giggle and scuttle away. If I am annoyed I will speak to them, they get a strange look on their face and scuttle quicker because they only know Hallo, I mean Hello.

The Chinese way is strange. They will never tell you the full story. You have to ask specific questions and think of what they could have left out of the answer then re-ask the question. They lie to you. While trying to get me to open an account at Bank of China so that my pay will be directly deposited in an account at their bank, one of the administrators told me, there was not a branch of the bank I am using in Nan Chang. On the way to the medical exam, I saw a branch and said to her, “I was told there was not a branch of this bank in this city.” She replied that there are 4 scattered around and bitched about the person that told me that information. I snapped and told her that she told me. LOL, my directness catches them off guard. She has been much nicer since then. The problem is that these people lie so much they forget their lies. Learning to adapt and understand will take me the entire first year I am here.

I am trying to find a teacher to teach me Mandarin. Problem is they are all afraid of westerners. One they are afraid their English skills are not good enough and they will be embarrassed. Secondly, last year the teachers were not going to get their last paycheck on time. Once you contract is up you have two weeks to get out of the country or move on to a new job. They were told, well can’t you wait around and grade some papers until we are ready to issue your checks. They have so many layers of bureaucracy that getting things done takes forever. Turns out the department keeps a slush fund to make sure westerners are paid on time. This also irritates the local teachers who can go months without being paid. I am going to have to have a student teach me the language.

I did not want to use a student, I feel/felt as if it could show favoritism. However, the students want to help us. Moreover, the school does not frown on it; in fact, it is ok to date one of your own students. I can’t figure this place out.

Back to the City. It is an interesting mix of the new and old. The old is fading but it exists in the back alleys and side streets. People go around on bikes pulling carts and clanging a bell to announce they are there to sell their wares, sharpen knives, do mending or perform other services. In one of the alley/side streets I found a tailor that makes custom pants for ten bucks and you choose the fabric,

The alley/side streets are about 16 feet wide, if that. The shops on these streets are about 12 by 30 and every fourth one is a restaurant. Sanitation is pathetic and I will not eat in one. I will eat from a street vendor that grills some type of meat on a stick right before your eyes before eat in one those places. I have yet to see a pigeon or a dog older than two in the city. That is what “don’t ask don’t tell” should be about.

For the first couple of weeks I was taking in the “big picture”. I am now seeing the homeless and poor problem. In the downtown area 5 beggars a block, that is an over-estimate, can besiege you but it is pervasive.

Starting this Friday, we have an entire week off for some kind of holiday. During that time, we will be taking a trip to the Venice of China. I should have some good things to say about the trip. And, maybe some pictures to upload.

Sorry if this sounded too crabby.

Keep in touch.

Miss the homeland.

Terry