18 January 2009

A NICE DAY ALMOST FROM HELL

I must be relaxing when I call what you are about to read as being almost from hell.

I started out the day at Starbucks. I am predisposed not to like French people: I don't like that part of me, but it exists. I was relaxing and reading a map when a guy comes in and sits down by an exterior window. Two minutes later he bellows to the staff his order, when they do not understand he walks to the counter and tells them again. After telling them his order he loudly states he knows no Chinese and will not learn it. Then he recites the 3 words and/or phrases he does know. The first he says is that he does not understand and the second is no. Guess his nationality.

However, five minutes later two other men walk into the shop, by then I am outside on the veranda drinking my coffee, after they get their order they sit at the table behind me. Before they sat both of them said hello, interrupting a spirited conversation they were having. Guess where they were from.

With all good comes some bad, and I have seen the stereotypical Ugly American here. He is a former real estate (commercial) guy from the s.e. United States. He tries to make Chinese people eat in a western style and does not adapt his behavior to where he is at that time. And, he compares how much money he spends on mutual Chinese friends with the amount I have spent. UGLY AMERICAN PERSONIFIED (in my opinion).

After Starbucks I spent the day with a local who showed me the city. First, I think I could love Guangzhou! It is big, mostly clean and full of energy. But the day with this local was difficult.

I think he is afraid of everything unknown. If he had not taken that route before it was dangerous, the subway is dangerous and he walked very fast to avoid danger. I tried to explain to him that I had not seen the city before and we should slow down; two minutes later back at an 8 minute mile clip. Eventually, when it was not rude, I said I was going home, but went for a slow walk around the neighborhood, then back to my hotel.

My hotel is called 7 Days Inn. If you can, come here and go to the big cities, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Hong Kong (but Hong Kong is expensive). My hotel in Guangzhou (and international and cosmopolitan city) costs $23.00 per night. It is like a Holiday Inn Express. The food is cheap, two people can eat on 20 U.S per day, And, if you plan, the airfare is relatively cheap. They (7 Days Inn) are sprouting up all over China. It is my preferred choice, no frills (well some have washers, all have breakfast and have Internet) and inexpensive. I am 100o yards from Shamian Island (a very ritzy place that used to house all of the embassies). I am also very near a port that brings in seafood.

I have learned that the fish does not come off fishing boats that dock here. The fish is shipped in via the Pearl River from the places where it is caught. Makes sense, but I deluded myself with the idea that the people that caught the fish delivered the fish to market. HA HA

I also learned that here, unlike Chicago, the restaurants buy their fish the night before and store it over night.

Anyway, I wondered around there tonight, for the second time, looking for dinner. The restaurants and kiosks do not sell cooked fish, seems those that handle and deal with it all day do not want to eat it (reminds me of working at Dunkin Donuts when I was 15, hated the damn things).

I am posting pictures I took tonight, less than two hours ago. The alligators are cool and the lights on the other side of the Pearl River are just as cool (though they are blurred).

TTLY

Terry