04 November 2007

LIFE IN CHINA











The weather here has turned, it is now similar to mid to late fall in Chicago. The one big difference is the humidity. The humidity is almost always high here, it makes the low 60's high 50's feel at least 10 degrees cooler. The sunrises at about 7:10 and sets at about 5:30, and the days will continue to get shorter. This country does not daylight savings time, or anything similar.

I have had a rebellion amongst my students. Almost all of them failed a test. Before the test they asked me to tell them what is on the test; in my way of thinking it would not be a test if I told them the questions. However, that is not the way the learn or are taught here. Seems teachers here will give them a list of questions and tell them 8 of the 20 questions will be on the test. What else makes things difficult is they way the students are used to learning.

The students do not have to think in class. Their teacher stands in front of them and tells them all they are supposed to know. I do not think they even get homework or reading assignments from indigenous teachers. I think my problems began when I began to get to substantive material and wanted them to do outside work and participate in class.

To survive I will have to adapt. And, I do not think I have much time to adapt. They word hate has been used to describe my classes and, since some of these students pay 20,000 a year to be here they have a lot to say.

Ok, on to more pictures. This week was Halloween and we went out. One of the few pictures of me is in this grouping.

All of the pictures were taken along a mall in Nan Chang City. The bar westerners frequent is located in this walking mall. It's name is Escape Club.

The Chinese are indigenous patrons or employees. The close up of the girl is a server at the bar, here name is Jenny. Seems a lot of the foreigners dressed as pirates.

No comments: