28 October 2007

Late October

October 28, 2007

In this area and probably most of China, 6’ by 4’ wooden carts haul all forms of refuse. The cart is pulled by two 4’ wooden handles mounted on each of it’s’ sides. The beast of burden stands between or is harnessed to them. A majority of the time, the beast of burden is a man over 60 years of age. In one shape or form, these carts have been in use for thousands of years.

Last night, while walking towards my apartment I was approaching a man going in my direction, he was pulling a wooden cart. During this portion of the walk I pass the pond and on the other side of the roadway are dorms, there is very little light in this area. As I approached, I noticed the man was wearing a long blue janitor type coat and dark heavy corduroy pants. Then reached into his pocket, pulled something out and started talking on a cellular phone. What a dichotomy.








The step up from the cart is the three-wheeled scooter.

They haul any number of items. They deliver cooking gas canisters, bottled water, food for the canteens and, beer.

I love the sound of the wind through a stand of trees. It is very windy today.

Recycling occurs here. You pay a deposit on plastic and glass bottles. Numerous people have scavenger rights or rights to harvest the abundance of plastic and bottle disposed of on this campus. The three-wheeled scooters are used to take the recyclables to the recycling center.

Windy does not get in the way of these people driving the scooters. They have to make money whether or not it is windy.









That is it for now. Over the last few days, I have taken over 200 pictures. I need to catalogue and caption them all. I should post a bunch of them this week.

It is in the 70’s and windy here; what is it like in Chicago?